Welcome to the journey,the tale and the saga of our
Homestead.

Saturday, August 1, 2009

A productive day,Refrigerator Pickles and Zucchini Bread.

Chance and I got some food projects done today all based on using up some of our surplus produce from the garden.
First of all I made a loaf of Zucchini Bread from my family recipe book,somehow it came out a bit off,not to sure how or why it just did not taste right.The boys are eating it so there's no loss. Until I figure out what is wrong with it I am not posting it.
Our neighbor had given me around 5 pounds of walnut sized yellow plumbs that needed to be used.Since I had already baked today I went ahead and pitted them and put them in the freezer.I make Plumb Kruchen,a coffee cake, when we want a treat for breakfasts now I will have plumbs already to go later on.
We also had several cucumbers in the fridge and more coming so Chance voted to try out Refrigerator Pickles,a new idea for us.These Pickles can be made in small batches and once left in the fridge for a few days they are ready to eat.We used a recipe from a book titled "Back to the Table,the reunion of food and family" by Art Smith.

Here's the recipe and how we went about it.

2 Cups Cider vinegar
2 teaspoons non-iodized or pickling salt
1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 Kirby cucumbers ( We used what was growing here) scrubbed,not peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds or spears. (we did some of each)
1 small onion cut into thin half rounds
1 Cup yellow or red grape tomatoes (we used cherries) or a combo of the two
8 Garlic cloves peeled
1/4 Cup springs fresh dill. (we just put a "head" of dill in each jar)

Bring the vinegar,salt,coriander and peppercorns to a full boil in a medium sauce pan over high heat.Cool completely.
Sterilize a one quart canning jar by immersing it in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes or by running it through a full cycle of the dishwasher.The jar should be hot when adding the vegetables.
Layer the cucumbers,onion,tomatoes,garlic,and dill in the hot jar.Pour enough of the vinegar to cover them completely.Screw on the lid.Refrigerate for at least 3 days before eating.Will store covered in the fridge for up to one month.

So easy! Chance and I tripled the recipe since we knew one jar would most likely not be enough around here.I am really hoping that the boys end up liking these pickles,they would come in handy when we run out of the other pickles I make. I also thought the veggies looked pretty together all layered in the jar.They might make a nice gift.
I wanted to share with all of you a handy tool I have in our kitchen.I don't only use it for canning but for many other things through out the year,it is a jar funnel.Mine is a beat up vintage one that I have had for a long time as you can see from the banged up rim.These funnels are handy when canning but also when ever you are pouring a liquid into a jar with a smaller mouth.

























Below you can see Chance using the Jar Funnel when we did the Refrigerator Pickles today.


















It was a good day here a bit cooler and productive.The busy day has really helped me get back into the swing of things.
Rois

2 comments:

  1. Nice. I dipped my toes into the murky waters of lacto-fermented pickling last week using Linda Ziedrich's awesome ,The Joy of Pickling. The Hungarian Sun Pickles are great. The Half Sours not so good, maybe they need more time. The Pickled Green Beans are totally addictive. No cooking = no hot kitchen and one happy pickler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Glenn.I think pickles need time.The ones we canned last summer were awesome by this Spring.Today is the day we open our pickles from the other day.I will post our review.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete