Welcome to the journey,the tale and the saga of our
Homestead.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Seven Minute Frosting

A reader left a comment wanting more information about "the" frosting.I am hoping it was the Seven Minuet frosting they were wanting because it is the only frosting I have an actual recipe for.When I make a Butter Cream type it is all just a bit of butter,powdered sugar and what ever I am flavoring it with,no measurements.

My recipe is from one of my vintage baking books that has lost its cover and title page so I can not be honest and give the title as I should.None the less here it is.

Seven Minute Frosting-

2 Egg Whites
1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
1/2 Cup Water*
1 Tablespoon White Corn Syrup (that much is not going to kill you.)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract **

Combine egg whites,sugar,water,corn syrup and salt in a double-boiler top. With an electric mixer at high speed,beat about 1 minute to blend;then place over rapidly boiling water and beat till mixture holds a peak when beater is raised.(don't be surprised if it take longer than 7 minuets.) Remove from boiling water.(For smoothest frosting,empty into a large bowl.) Add vanilla and continue to beat till mixture is stiff enough to spread.
Fills and frosts top and sides of:
2- 8 or 9 inch layers
or
8x8x2 or 9x9x2

* For crusty surface reduce water to 1/3 Cup

** Flavor Variations-
Chocolate- fold in 2-3 squares of melted unsweetened chocolate
Harvest Moon- Sub 1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar for Granulated
Peppermint- Sub 1/4 teaspoon Peppermint extract for vanilla and add in 6- 5 inch
peppermint sticks crushed. Or a handful of the small round peppermints crushed.

A couple of times I had this recipe not work to well,I assume it had something to do with the humidity.Like I mentioned in my last posting the frosting comes out kind of like soft Marshmallow Cream and dose not crust or dry out. It is not as stiff as Meringue. Be careful when frosting your cake, if you over fill it the layers will slide.

My brother loved the chocolate cake with the peppermint seven minuet frosting and always had it for his birthday cake.The year he turned 12 my parents got him a dog for his birthday,we named the dog Sam. After we brought Sam home on my brothers birthday, we had birthday cake for my brother.There was just the 4 of us so half of the cake was left at bedtime. Bedtime also brought up where to put the new dog for the night.My Mom worried about chewing or peeing on the carpeting,the dog was an unknown factor so I can't blame her.Her solution was to shut Sam in the kitchen for the night in the big butlers pantry,not much to chew and a floor that could be mopped. No one thought about the cake sitting on the counter smelling like heaven to a dog with a sweet tooth.In the night Sam got the cake down and ate every single lick of it and then puked it all up,good thing the floor was mop-able. That was the beginning of our education of life with Sam,Sam LOVED sweets. I was only 4 at the time and still short,I had to learn that any time I had a treat that was not eaten at the table, I had to raise my hand holding the treat as high as I could.Why? Well Sam had a talent for sneaking up behind you and gently but swiftly snatching your goody. He really was a good dog we named him for Frodo's Sam with the hopes the dog would be as faithful as the other Sam and he was,he just had to have his sweets.Fitting I'd say,those Hobbits and their meals and all that.

Well "L" I hope that was what you were asking about.If not post a comment again and it will motivate me to measure out a batch of Butter Cream Frosting.
I ended up not baking a cake today.There was a break in the weather and this time of year we have to use those days to their fullest.We planted 3 Blueberries and 1 Italian Prune tree today.The start to filling in our empty front with garden beds.The next 2 days I'll be working and hope to bake a cake soon,I am craving cake badly and just need to get that need filled.
Rois

2 comments:

  1. It was! Thinks!! I HATE too sugary sweet frosting that this sounds amazing! I too just planted my blueberries :) good luck!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound good. Now I'll have to make a cake.

    ReplyDelete