Welcome to the journey,the tale and the saga of our
Homestead.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

First turkey egg

Of course because I really, really so badly wanted to have a photo for this post there is something up with the camera battery.It's either the charger or the battery its self,no juice is flowing so I am out of luck.


But never the less! This morning when I went to pick up the eggs from the coop there was our very first turkey egg!

 Ours looks just like these in the photo.I knew it was not a chicken egg quickly because A.turkey eggs are larger (about the size of a small lemon.) & heavier in the hand than a chicken egg.B.none of hens have ever laid a speckled egg before.

I had been wondering if we kept the turkey hen around long enough if she would lay.The turkey hen I had when I was 5 used to lay me an egg everyday or every other day.I just wasn't sure as to when the event would happen.

I did some reading up on turkey's and their laying habits.It looks like if we keep her we should count on an egg every other day , although some will lay daily.We can use the turkey eggs just like a large sized chicken egg.Some people think they are richer in flavor much like a mild duck egg and others say there is no flavor difference from a chicken egg.The last time I had a turkey egg I was 5,my memory has failed me on what I thought of the taste and I am sure my tastes have grown up with me.I will let you know what I think soon.

 We are still thinking over the pro's and con's of keep the turkey hen.She is loud and big.But she is laying eggs,loves to follow us around and will sit at your feet.Oh my,how pet like that bird has become.Maybe somewhere in her pea sized brain she really is smart and figured out that if she is cute,sweet and useful we will be tenderhearted suckers and keep her.She does not know us all that well does she? We have raised her for the meat and it may just be what she ends up being,dinner.

Tomorrow I am trying my hand at my own variation of this Coconut Swirl Bread. I am going to use my own sweet dough that is nice and egg-y partly because for some recipes making a sponge is an extra step I don't always get the why of and partly because I know the recipe I use for this kind of dough never fails me.Maybe a bit arrogant of me but honestly life is busy and short,I want fool proof food happening on the days I have lots to do.I am planning on using coconut milk for the liquid in my dough because like the other blogger says,it adds to the coconut flavor of the bread.


We can now say we have two kinds of eggs here at Hrafinstaad chicken and turkey.What other kinds of eggs have any of you tried? Duck? Goose? Quail? Do you like those? I do.

Rois


3 comments:

  1. I have had quail eggs and like them very much. I've considered keeping quail, have not tried them for meat, they are tiny but edible, their eggs are tiny and mild, like a chicken egg but much smaller. They are speckeled and blotched like some wild bird eggs/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big and speckled? Sounds really pretty.
    I think your sit-at-your-feet turkey should be pardoned!
    Not that I am a vegetarian... I am a *sentimentaltarian,* and she's already made me feel dear about her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison, I love quail egg and meat.Although Quail eggs are a big pain in the butt to peel if you boil them.The eggs are yummy treat pickled.

    Natalie,I read Chance your comment and now the turkey hen may have been pardoned.

    ReplyDelete